Director of Youth Ministries
Job description revised March 6, 2020.
Journeying together toward spiritual growth.
Director of Youth Ministries is a full-time staff position in the Lenexa United Methodist Church (LUMC). The Youth Director will provide spiritual and relational Christian leadership for Lenexa United Methodist Youth in the 6th through 12th grades.
Staff Parish Relations Committee, Senior Pastor (direct supervision) Annual Evaluation
The responsibilities listed below are our current thoughts on requirements that the Director of Youth Ministries must perform to successfully lead the LUMC youth program. In coordination with the Senior Pastor and Staff Parish Relations Committee, the Youth Director may take on other responsibilities to advance the mission of LUMC.
1) Youth Ministry:
a) General goal
- Provide spiritual and relational Christian leadership for Lenexa United Methodist Youth in the 6th through 12th
- Challenge the youth to respond to God’s call to serve in their communities and the world.
- Create an attractive, vibrant, and compelling environment to which our youth can invite and attract others to the church.
- Support, guide, and supervise all youth ministries of the church in accordance to the Mission and Vision of the Church.
- Love youth for who they are and where they are in their faith journey.
b) General Tasks
- Maintain the Great Plains Annual Conference policy regarding background checks & risk management training, currently known as Safe Gatherings for anyone who works with Youth and vulnerable adults.
- Build a ministry that engages with local Middle and High schools in the area and connects with the youth in their activities.
- Maintain consistent communication with parents and youth related to all Youth Ministries activities. This will include an annual event calendar, monthly newsletters, additional email, Facebook, and twitter.
- Provide age appropriate counsel or referrals subject to teen crisis and will follow church policies in all situations.
c) Build Support Team
- Build and support a team of passionate adult volunteers who provide diverse ability to lead, coach and mentor youth.
- Procure & provide training for volunteer teachers, supervisors, and any adults who work with Youth.
d) Youth Group
- Lead Sunday night youth fellowship.
- Coordinating and lead youth retreats, youth mission trips and youth fundraising.
- Lead youth to participate in the Kansas City District, & the Great Plains Annual Conference youth events.
e) Sunday School
- Order and distribute youth curriculum and supplies to the appropriate persons/areas, etc. in order to support youth Sunday School.
- Teach and/or provide qualified Sunday School teachers for grades 6th through 12th.
f) Confirmation Class
- Coordinate with the Sr. Pastor to provide leadership for the Confirmation program.
2) Whole Church Ministry:
- Attend worship services on a regular basis.
- Participate in Sunday worship service planning and leadership, especially as it relates to youth involvement.
- Organize and oversee an annual Youth Sunday where the service is performed by the youth. This includes presenting the message, liturgy, and ushering.
- Preach on occasion when asked by the Worship Committee.
- May participate in the worship services in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to: liturgist, children’s moments, or providing pulpit supply, with the approval of the Worship Planning Team and Sr. Pastor.
- With assistance of church members conduct a Membership Class where new members can learn about the doctrines of the United Methodist Church and specific programs of the Lenexa church.
- Be a member of Inviting Ministries Team.
3) Personal Development
- Attend & participate in applicable training events when budgeted and approved by the Senior Pastor in advance.
- Become “Safe Gatherings” certified.
- Take the two-year training program for Youth Directors from Youth Ministry Institute Midwest in Kansas City (subject to budget approval).
- Requires organization and flexibility.
- It is anticipated that this position will require approximately 40 hours per week.
- Will include evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Communicate with the Sr. Pastor and Staff Parrish Relations Committee. This can be achieved through personal or electronic communication.
- Attend all scheduled staff meetings and meet with the Sr. Pastor once a week to establish a weekly (or longer) schedule.
- Regular days off (2 per week) and vacation (as determined by the Lenexa Policy Manual) will be coordinated with the Senior Pastor and the Staff Parrish Relations Committee.
- Must embrace Christian discipline and United Methodist doctrine and theology.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field is a minimum requirement. Professional Certification in Youth Ministry in the United Methodist Church is desired.
- Must have vision and demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement a youth ministry within the parameters of the United Methodist Church.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, conflict management skills, and computer skills.
- Must possess a proven ability to work effectively with youth, diverse individuals, and teams of volunteers.
- Previous experience leading a youth ministry program is desired.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send resume and cover letter to Office@lenexaumc.org.
POSITION: A lead custodian is needed for building services. This staff opportunity is a 20-hour-a-week position.
• Standard cleaning—empty trash, vacuum, dust, and clean windows and bathrooms for both buildings.
• Setup—set tables and chairs for all church, preschool and guest events.
• Maintaining supplies—keep track of towels, toilet paper and cleaning supplies. Order as needed.
• Building maintenance—fix toilet valves and flapper, change light bulbs, change paper towel dispenser
batteries, change furnace filters. Coordinate outside vendor for carpet cleaning and floor polish. Major paint projects are typically done by volunteers.
• Candidate needs to be able to lift at least 40 lbs. to handle trash and move tables.