At Lenexa UMC, we believe that families come in all shapes and sizes...and that they need to be strong in order to have a strong relationship with - and trust in - Jesus Christ. Because we are so diverse, family events are a way for us to become acquainted with each other and to strengthen these bonds. These events, whether they are recreational, social or educational, also give us an opportunity to invite non-church members and neighbors so that they may get to know us better!! Hopefully, they then can become more comfortable in worship with us and make Lenexa UMC their faith community. We grow stronger as a church community by eating, playing and socializing with one another. Everyone is always invited....whether a family of ONE or MANY!!!
What does the Family Ministry Team do at Lenexa UMC??
The purpose of the Family Ministry team is to plan at least quarterly events for the entire church. Some of these include:
• Advent and Lenten Family Nights. Before the start of Advent at the Hanging of the Greens service, we have a light meal and craft night for everyone of all ages. This is usually the Wednesday evening after Thanksgiving. On Shrove Tuesday, the day before Lent begins on Ash Wednesday, we have a pancake dinner and crafts geared to getting ourselves ready for Lent, the season of preparing for Easter!!
• An All-Church Christmas Caroling party takes place on the Wednesday night before Shawnee Mission School District winter break. We carol the neighborhoods, Lakeview Village Retirement Center, etc. and come back for cocoa and treats. This is for everyone!
• An All-Church Fall Hayride in November is at Shawnee Mission Park. This hour-long ride is followed by a bonfire, cocoa and marshmallows!
• Trunk-or-Treat is a popular event for us. Of course, the community is invited so please join us! We have food, games, and fun for everyone. In 2011, the Masons of Lenexa came and helped families create Child Identification CDs for each child....and everyone had a ton of fun (and a ton of candy)
In• T-Bones Games. Every June we make it a night at the ballpark in the summer!! Tailgating includes the church providing the fried chicken!! Everyone else brings side dishes.
• All-Church Potlucks. We usually have one at the start of fall activities called "Fresh Start"...and often one in the Summer at a near-by park. These are a fun, informal way to get to know others!
• All-Church Camping Trip is usually a weekend event in April at Camp Chippewa. Enrollment will be starting in February and Scholarships are available. We will have horseback riding, lots of good food, archery and a wagon ride! Don't worry, we camp INSIDE for this event!
• 4th of July Parade and Float. Lenexa UMC always has a big presence in the Lenexa parade including the Lawn Chair Drill Team. The church also will be handing out water bottles at the Freedom Run that morning to over 1400 runners!! Look for our red, white, and blue shirts!! Enjoy pancakes before the parade at our annual all-you-can eat pancake breakfast at our church in Schneeberger Hall.
We are always looking for new ideas and new members of the team!